Saturday, October 13, 2012

A 21st Unbirthday...


 My 21st birthday was on the 8th this month :) I had spent the weeks leading up to the day in a hazy daydream of Alice in Wonderland party ideas. Actually, this "Wonderland" party idea is not by any means a new obsession. I seriously dream of someday being able to throw the trippiest, most immersive wonderland party imaginable - with an environment that mimics and even extends past that world of Alice's; part rave, part art show, part house party. I'm sure I'll get into it more in depth here another time (and blog it when it happens? I think so!), but for now...




 I had been dreaming about a perfect 21st Unbirthday, preferably with some sort of lush tea party, where we sipped champagne from the tea cups instead of herbal brews. Somewhere in there, I mentioned an Alice cake as well, something silly & extravagant, just for the joy of it. I'm always wishing for life to have just a pinch more magic to it, even when it already has plenty.

 So, that's what leads me to talk about my mother. She is the coolest lady, like, truly, you don't understand. She is a lady who is so spunky, and loving, and talented that she goes out and she starts learning how to make an enormous, fondant covered topsy, turvy, groovy, trippy cake.

 I came in and found her working on it when it was 1/3 of the way completed - she had made 7 individual cakes! She was stacking them on top of one another with frosting as glue, and simultaneously making an enormous batch of butter cream frosting! She told me later that she had used 8, 2lb bags of powdered sugar during this process. Then she told me to go brush my teeth.

 She asked for my help in making it to my liking, and so I got to work kneading dye into huge balls of marshmellow fondant. I wish I had the foresight to take a picture of my hands after dying a pound of the stuff purple - they were neon electric pink magenta? It was the strangest thing.

 Over the next 3 days leading to the 8th, my mother and I hung out, reminisced about my growing up and cracking eggs for cakes much like this, and worked on this confection. My honey, Jeff, even donated time, love, and the color of his hands to help me finish & transport it. Then, as it's being served, my mother pulls out the most amazing candles that have ever been poured from wax and lit on fire - the perfect addition to the perfect love cake.

As amazing as it tasted, I think my favorite part of it was creating it with my favorite people ♥ and then photographing it. And then eating it. And speaking of eating it, there's lots of it. 
Like, a lot. Like, 5 cakes worth left - so if ya know anybody who wants a slice...


No comments:

Post a Comment